EXP Scholarships support the college and career dreams of our students and alumni. This year, we are offering two types of scholarship awards—Merit and Talent. You may apply to either one or both. By completing the application, you may be eligible to receive a $1,000 scholarship.
To qualify, applicants must be a graduating senior OR an alum of one of EXP’s academies/pathways at the following high schools:
- Barstow High School (MXP, STEAM)
- Carson High School (ESET, GBLG, PAMA)
- Gardena High School (GBM)
- Lawndale High School (MCA)
- Leuzinger High School (ECA)
- Manuel Dominguez High School (CTE Culinary, CTE Business)
- Narbonne High School (BETA)
- Phineas Banning High School (ITA, MATCH, GSS, GESA, PATHS)
- Rancho Dominguez Preparatory (STEAM)
- San Pedro High School
- A graduating senior must plan to enroll full-time in an accredited college, university, community or junior college, or vocational/technical program in the Fall of 2022.
- An ITEP/EXP alum must be a current, full-time student of an accredited college, university, community or junior college, or vocational/technical program.
- Applicants must have a minimum grade point average of 2.50
NOTE: Students from all listed EXP career academies/pathways are encouraged to apply. There are additional scholarship opportunities available to those interested in careers in global trade, transportation, and logistics.
Both types of scholarships are awarded based on a broad view of the applicant’s character, academic ability, professional interest, and dedication to the community and career. The Scholarship Committee will use a selection rubric that considers the following components: the applicant’s essays (and talent submission), work/volunteer experience, list of extracurricular activities and/or awards, letter of recommendation, and GPA.
Essay responses, a letter of recommendation, and volunteer experience will be weighted most.
For the talent scholarship, students will also be awarded based on their unique creativity, content, and how they used their talent.
NOTE: The items with the most weight in the criteria are: essay responses, letter of recommendation, and volunteer experience. INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL BE INELIGIBLE FOR SCHOLARSHIP AWARDS.
COMPLETED APPLICATION MUST BE SUBMITTED BY FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 11, 2022
ANNOUNCEMENT AND PRESENTATION OF AWARDS
Scholarship winners will be notified in March 2022 and are expected to attend the 2022 Oceans of Opportunity Awards and Scholarship Celebration, taking place on the evening of Thursday, May 12, 2022, at the Museum of Latin American Art in Long Beach. Talent scholarship recipients may be asked to showcase their work at the event.
Scholarship funds will be disbursed upon receipt of proof of Fall 2022 enrollment.
Should you experience any problems while preparing your application, please contact Patty Negrette, EXP Program Manager at (562) 552-4013 or firstname.lastname@example.org.